Speaking of talent, greatness, a passion for football, and even a good physical appearance: Josh Gordon has it all; the Cleveland Browns receiver is undeniably good at the game of football despite its obvious shortcomings. He gives his fans a reason to smile every time he plays. Because of his speed on the field, he has even been nicknamed “Flash”. Read on to learn some salient facts about the American football star.
Age and Early Life
Joshua Caleb Gordon was born on April 13, 1991, in Houston, Texas, the son of Elaine and Herald Gordon. He attended Lamar High School and was strong and active in sports even as a young boy. He participated in high school sports such as running, soccer, and basketball. In junior high school soccer, Josh caught 20 passes for 363 yards and four touchdowns. In his senior year, he averaged 21.2 and was named to the first team in the 20-5A All-District. He excelled in athletics in high school.
On his way to college, Josh Gordon was rated a 3-star wide receiver, and many college teams queued up to sign him. Well-known American college football teams like Baylor, Houston, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Texas Tech all wanted him on their team. Among the many teams, Gordon chose Baylor University, which played on the school team as an athlete with a scholarship.
Josh Gordon’s Career and Drug Issues
Gordon was impressive and worked really hard during his time at Baylor, but his consumption of hard drugs and alcohol became a big challenge for the young receiver. In 2010 he was found asleep after getting high on drugs. In another incident, marijuana was found by police in his car while he was near a local restaurant with his teammate Willie Jefferson. Willie, who had been repeatedly suspended for drug abuse, was kicked off the team, while Josh, who was only a rookie at the time of the incident, was suspended.
In the second half of 2011, Josh has suspended again because he tested positive for marijuana in a drug test. He was inactive throughout the year, and in 2012 he signed a four-year contract with Cleveland Browns. This contract made him $5.3 million richer. The 2012 season was incredible for him, with 50 catches, 805 yards, and 5 touchdowns, making him the best wide receiver. That same season he scored against the New York Giants and ended the season with two catches for 82 yards and two touchdowns. He scored again against the Oakland Raiders with six catches for 116 yards and one touchdown. The season ended with the receiver scoring against the Kansas City Chiefs with eight catches.
In 2013 Gordon has suspended again for drug abuse. He was reinstated after two games and scored 261 receiver-yards, breaking NFL records and becoming the first wide receiver to play at least 200 receiver-yard games in a row, earning him the Player of the Year title for the season. He was also named the first all-pro team.
2014 was a really challenging year for Gordon, who was suspended and ended up playing only five games. He finished the 2014 season with 24 passes, 303 yards, and zero touchdowns. His battles continued for Josh Gordon for the next two years, as he was suspended for the entire 2015 season and was continuously suspended and reinstated in 2016 for drug abuse. Gordon decided to place himself in a rehabilitation center as this was the best decision for his overall well-being.
Here Are 5 Facts About The NFL Player
1. Josh Gordon has a daughter named Emma with his former girlfriend Christina Lockhart, who lives in Maple Heights. Josh initially refused to assume his responsibilities as a father until Christina filed a lawsuit against the Cleveland Browns’ Wide Receiver. It took Josh a full year before he accepted to be responsible for his baby. He was arrested and detained before he complied with the court orders. A DNA test was conducted and Josh could no longer deny being the father of Christina’s baby. He agreed to be financially and physically responsible for her.
2. He began using drugs as a young boy, not knowing that this little habit of his would affect him and his future career.
3. Josh is a typical example of how talent is not enough to succeed in life, and that you have to do a lot to reach enviable heights in life. Despite his enormous talents, he was an underachiever. In the meantime, he has realized that his drug addiction is a setback, and so he is doing everything he can to win this battle, just as he does on the field.
4. His greatness is the toast of every footballer. Josh has an enviable height of 1.82 meters and a well-built structure that can tell everyone that he is a hardcore player. His birth sign is Aries, he has two brothers whose names are not known and he is of Haitian descent.
5. There are different reports about the actual estimate of his net worth. While TheRichest.com estimates it at $4 million, another website, CelebrityNetworth.com, estimates it at $1 million. So it is not certain what the actual value is.